Friday, November 11, 2011

Full moon November 2011

Full Beaver Moon – November This was the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. Another interpretation suggests that the name Full Beaver Moon comes from the fact that the beavers are now actively preparing for winter. It is sometimes also referred to as the Frosty Moon.

I think I have a perfect story for November…because it has to do with giving thanks. When John decided to give the band a shot they started touring the country and were asked to do a “show” at the studio of a web based radio station called WOXY. It was about to go off the air (but later saved and I think it still exist…but not sure because I don’t listen to music anymore) ..anyway,  John’s band was to be the last act to appear live. They did a few songs and then they were interviewed. We were so excited to be able to hear him do his first interview…it was cool to think that there were people outside of the family that thought the music was good…so we all gathered around the computer to hear it…and I was shocked to listen to some band member explain that they were shocked by the number of people who came to their shows…and then this little voice said “thank you though…thanks for coming”…and that little voice was John!!! My John, who was one of the smartest and most knowledgeable people on the planet …and his only contribution to the conversation was; “thank you for coming?’  I couldn’t believe that was all he could find to say…the kid who had his own cable TV show in High School, who went to the National History Fair Competition using a Beatles topic …couldn’t think of a music related comment?

When he came home from the tour I chuckled when I asked him what the heck was he thinking just thanking people for coming to the show and he looked at me and asked if that was a bad thing to say…I felt a little bad saying no, but couldn’t he think of more music related comments…and he just shrugged and let it go….

I have always felt badly about that…and …as usual he proved he knew better than I did about what was important in life…if I had to pick one constant comment made about him from others it would be that he was kind…he knew what was important to say…and today…I can not remember one single word from that interview…I only remember that he thanked his fans….and I know that they appreciated it too…because at least one kid came all the way from Ohio for his funeral….I bet he thanked that kid for coming to his show…and that kid thanked him in return ...kindness begets kindness.

So, this month…let’s all try to just thank people who are deserving and see what happens…You don’t have to be a the worlds smartest person or a great orator..just keep it simple…and be confident that when you are being kind…simple is truly best!!

Here is the link if you want to listen…it is a little funny once you hear the story.

2 comments:

Marie Buckley said...

I followed the link from the Musary, to this blog and it simply stunned me. It is so beautiful.

My son, Scott Goodrich, was one of John's charges when he was a camper at Patton Park. And he so admired John! The group just had a blast under his care. He was a wonderful role model.

Scott had the privilege of using a Musary cello this past year. He had played cello when he was young and then switched to double bass. We would not have been able to get him a cello, so the Musary made it possible for him to go back to an instrument he loved. I think that it is a very real way that John continued to influence my son's life.

This is a beautiful blog. It truly honors everything that John was about.

I will always look at the full moon a little differently now. Thank you so much for this blog!

-Marie Buckley (Scott Goodrich's Mom)

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting that link to WOXY. It was the first time I heard John's voice since watching videos with everyone at your house and specifically calling his mobile number to hear his voicemail, to hear his voice.

I'm glad you're writing this blog.
Be Well,
-Michael Myers